Sleep Apnea Has Diverse Symptoms
One of the reasons that sleep apnea goes undiagnosed is that it has diverse symptoms that seemingly could point to other disorders and illnesses. This sole fact makes it hard for doctors to diagnose. However, your sleep dentist in Butler, Dr. Fornalczyk, has studied sleep apnea extensively and has experience spotting and treating it. If you think you might have sleep apnea, your best chance at life-changing treatment is a sleep dentist. Look out for these common symptoms:
- Loud snoring: Does your partner, or anyone else in the house, complain of loud snoring? Get checked for sleep apnea if your snoring is loud enough to wake up others.
Pro Tip: Do you sleep alone? Set up your phone to record your sleep. If you hear loud snoring and have other symptoms, you should call Dr. Fornalczyk at (724) 282-4436.
- Excessive daytime sleepiness: Many people get a little crash in the afternoon, but excessive daytime sleepiness is different. Do you fall asleep or fear you might during work? Watching TV during the day? Driving?
- Morning headaches: Do you wake up each morning with a headache that dissipates within an hour or so? If you present other symptoms but are unsure about headaches, pay attention to how you feel shortly after awakening. These headaches are typically intense but go away quickly.
- Cognitive issues: After many nights of fragmented sleep, you’ll notice mental issues such as irritability, trouble concentrating, and memory problems.
- Frequent nighttime urination: Have you ever wondered why you don’t have to urinate all night long? It’s because your body regulates your fluids differently during sleep. But when you awaken, you have to use the bathroom right away. If you constantly awaken due to sleep apnea, your body thinks you’re awake for the day and lets you know you need to use the bathroom.
The above symptoms are common in those who have sleep apnea, but they are not the only symptoms. Not having one or two doesn’t exclude the possibility of sleep apnea, so it’s vital to get a medical opinion anyway.